Friday, July 07, 2006

Bad mistake

"We are great cooks" (so they think)
Taking turns mixing.

Icing the cake

final results

Courtney got a friend to spend the night with her tonight. The girls wanted to bake a cake. I told them I did not have any icing for a cake. Emily says "Oh I can make icing with confectioners sugar". I say "I don't have any of that" So the girls beg and plead for me to go to the store and get the stuff for them to bake a cake. I give in thinking surely it will not hurt to let them make a simple cake. We go to the store and they pick out a cake and icing. They beg for me to buy them the tubes of icing to decorate the cake with. I don't give in to that. For one thing those tubes are expensive. Second I just did not know about two girls in the kitchen. They then want sprinkles or chocolate chips. I have chocolate chips at home so I decide they can use those. I told the girls they had to clean up their mess. "We will" We get home and they want to bake right away. I remind them again that they have to clean up their mess. After a broken egg on the floor, eggs shells in the mix, oil spilled on the table, and cake mix spilled in the floor I decided that I would do the clean up. They got the egg off of the floor and most of the oil up. I did not want a bigger mess than what we had. They had not even decorated the cake yet. We ate pizza while the cake cooled. I am dreading them putting the icing on. Here it goes. They start putting the icing on and did a pretty good job. They then sprinkle chocolate chips on the cake. I took some pictures of them. My kitchen is a mess. I did not take a picture of it. I can't post much more because I have to go clean up the mess that they made. I know I should make them do it, but I am afraid what it will look like when they are done. They had fun so I guess that is what matters. I think I made a bad mistake for letting two girls loose in my kitchen. Sounds like they are monkeys don't it? Actually they have acted like monkeys all night.

3 comments:

Sonya said...

HOW FUN! You are a good Mom!!!

Sonya

BASF said...

I can tell you this.... when you get older, and have family gatherings, the stories that are recounted won't be about your clean kitchen, but those girls will remember the fun they had making that cake.

~*This Mama*~ said...

wow, they look like twins...okay, maybe not, but sisters for SURE! their glasses look identical and everything! Nice looking cake! was it yummy?