Monday, March 17, 2008

Healthier Choices

I have to say I am proud of myself. About 5 week ago, I was inspired by my friend Kelly, to start trying to loose weight. Kelly was doing Weight Watchers, so I thought I would give it a try. I hated the thoughts of saying I was on a diet, because I just don't like that word. Something about that word makes me feel like I can't eat anything except salads, or grilled things.
After much thought, I decided to join Weight Watchers. I have to say it was a great move on my part. It has not been easy, but the results are paying off. I weighed in today and have lost 12.8 pounds. I think I am loosing more inches than pounds, because my skirts are way to big in the waist now. I feel better than I have in a while.
I know I still have a good ways to go, but I am proud of the pounds I have lost. I don't want to say I am on a diet, so I will just say I try to make healthier choices. I try to watch my portion size also.
I was so afraid that it would be hard to do WW because I love chocolate and I could not stand not having some. I have not missed it that bad. I still eat chocolate, but I count the points. I also worried about how I would do when Kevin was off and we was with our friends playing games. That has not been bad either. One night Kelly and Chris came over to play games, and Kelly and I just counted our points and got through the night. I made Chicken chili. We ate baked chips instead of regular chips. I fixed brownies for the children and our husbands, and Kelly fixed a WW dessert for us.
I was very good about exercising the first two weeks, but then I slacked off because I had a good bit going on, and it made my back hurt. I think walking is the best for me because of my herniated disk. With the weather getting pretty it will be easier to go for walks.
I had to take a moment to brag on myself. I know almost 13 pounds don't seem like much, but to me it does. My WW leader thinks I am doing good. She says it is better for weight to come off slow than fast, because it is easier to keep off.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

WooHa Girlfriend! Good job! And I totally agree with you about the whole "diet" thing: it IS better to say "healthier choices" because it has to be this way in life, you know? Diets come and go, but healthier choices are for life. Our portions needed to change, our activity level needed to change, and our thinking needed to change. I don't think food had to change all that much. I still eat it, and chocolate still tastes good no matter if you have half a candy bar or a whole, right? :D

We GOTTA make our goal! And then we're gonna treat ourselves to a shopping trip! WOOHA!

Denna said...

Thanks Kel. I have to give you the credit for helping get going.I need some clothes now, but I better wait. I don't think Kevin would like me buying clothes every week. LOL He would not care, but I don't think it would be a good idea.
And yes....I love my chocolate. I made the brownies the other night and put apple sauce in them. WOW, They was sooooooo good.
D

A Crystal Garden said...

Good for you Denna!

mommy24treasures said...

great Denna!!

Anonymous said...

Denna - YEA!!!! I am southern proud of you! I emailed you a response to your last email but it was returned to me twice. You are doing great! If it comes off slowly, you are more apt to keep it off! I know that it can get discouraging when you weigh in but....keep it up and it will keep coming off. DY