Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Before I was a Mom



"Before I was a Mom I made and ate hot meals.I had unstained clothing. I had quiet conversations on the phone. Before I was a Mom I slept as late as I wanted. And never worried about how late I got into bed. I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday. Before I was Mom I cleaned my house each day. I never tripped over toys or forgot words to lullabies. Before I was a Mom I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous. I never thought about immunizations. Before I was a Mom I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, peed on, or pinched by tiny fingers. Before I was a Mom I had complete control of my mind, my thoughts, my body and all my feelings. I slept all night. Before I was a Mom I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.Before I was a Mom I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being a Mom. Before I was a Mom I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know that bond between a Mother and her child. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important. Before I was a Mom I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was OK. I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache or the satisfaction of being a Mom. I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much............before I was a Mom....

2 comments:

Sonya said...

VERY CUTE PICS!!!! Love the post!

Sonya

Brooke said...

Did you write that? It was really good! I think one of the things I'll miss the most when I have a child (other than Cadie) is sleeping whenever I want.