Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Strep Throat


Courtney has not felt good for the past few days. Her eyes have been swollen really bad. We thought she could have got to much sun or the chemicals from the pool could be causing it. Yesterday Courtney complained with her neck hurting. She had huge knots it her neck. She woke up early this morning with her neck hurting very bad. Of course my mind was going different ways. Kevin was concerned because of the swelling of her eyes. He did not know if other areas might be swelling also. We finally decided to take her to the Doctor. We had switched pediatricians with Brooke so Courtney had never been seen by this Doctor. Courtney continued to be dragging around, not wanting to eat, and just feeling really bad. She also felt very hot, but we did not check her temp. We got to the Doctor and Courtney had 101.4 fever. The first thing they did was a strep test. ( We never considered that) Well it came back positive. Now I am going to tell you about the conversation.
Dr.. Well it is positive so you have two options. One you can get a shot and feel better tomorrow. Two you can take two pills for 5 days.
Courtney: I will take the two pills.
Dr. O.K I will see if I have some samples.
Doctor goes out and comes back in with the pills. He then opens them and gets a cup of water. You see, he knows most children refuse to swallow pills, because most have always had liquid antibiotics.
Dr.. Ok, here you are. Lets see you take these.
Courtney: I can't swallow those.
Dr. :Sure you can try it.
Courtney puts the pills in her mouth and gags. She puts it in again and takes it out.
Courtney: This taste like plastic.
Dr. Well yeah...... It's suppose to. It is plastic (It was a capsule)
Courtney: I can't do it.
Dr. You have not really tried it.
Courtney: Can you cut it in half or can I chew it up?
Dr. No
Courtney tries one more time and gags. She jerks the pill out and says "I can't do it"
Dr. O.K that is fine. We know what we have to do then. (SHOT)
Courtney: O.K, I will DO IT. I will DO IT.
Courtney grabbed the pill and swallowed it faster than we could blink. Courtney then says "COOL"
Dr. Patz could not believe it.
Dr.. " I can't believe you did that. You did it."
Dr. Patz told us that most kids can not swallow the pill. They gag and end up having to have a shot. Dr. Patz made Courtney take the second pill. We all got a good laugh. I guess Kevin and I will have to deal with it tomorrow trying to make sure she takes the two pills.
Dr. Patz told us that since Courtney could take a pill that we should buy her adult tylenol because it would be much cheaper. You are paying for the liquid. We might have to give it a try. I have to make sure we get these down her first. I do have some needles left from when I had to have shots. I guess I could always show those to Courtney. That would be mean.
I hate that she has strep. I understand why she has been so ill and felt so bad now. Hopefully she will be on the road to recovery now.
Delinda if you read this I hope your two don't get sick since we was around you guys yesterday. I am sure the children was breathing all over each other. Especially since they was showing their Billy Bob teeth. Sorry. We did not know she was sick.

4 comments:

Denna said...

Kelly, I forgot about you. We was with your children yesterday to. I hope they don't catch this.

Anonymous said...

Denna

Jay and I are fine!Thanks for the warning! hope she feels better! and i did not share my billy bob teeth with her!

Kelly said...

Ahhh, they're probably fine. And if they're not, they're getting the shot! HA!

Poor Court! Who woulda thunk that her eyes and sore neck were strep??

Man, does this mean no Rook for awhile? Bummer!

Denna said...

We would love to play. Kevin is off tonight. Nadine and Mom are here. Come on down. We are playing skip-bo.
DH