Saturday, September 02, 2006

When your child Hurts

Death is so hard to explain to children. For each of us death comes to sudden. It is hard enough for us to except the fact of death, but how are we suppose to tell our children and explain death, and ease their pain?
Courtney and Brooke lost their Papaw 7 months ago. Brooke only got to spend one month with him. Courtney spent 7 years with her papaw. Courtney loved him very much. Courtney saw her papaw suffer a long time before God called him home.
I knew that Courtney missed her papaw, but I did not realize how bad until tonight. Courtney went to visit her mamaw for a couple of hours. They talked about papaw and how much they missed him. When I picked Courtney up she looked sad. When we left Courtney cried all the way home. She talked about her Papaw and how she missed him. She said "I wish that mamaw could tell Papaw Air Force stories." (Courtney would sit in his lap and he would tell her all kinds of stories) Courtney had me crying in the van as she talked about how much she misses her papaw. Courtney said that mamaw was crying and that she hates to see mamaw cry. Over all Nadine has done good with the death of her husband.
Death is so hard. I know there will be good days and bad days ahead for all of us. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be hard.
I just feel so bad for Courtney. What can you do when your child hurts? It is so hard sometimes.
We came home and I ran Courtney a warm bubble bath. The bath seemed to make her feel better, along with some hugs.

4 comments:

~*This Mama*~ said...

Aww, I know that would've made ME feel better.

(((Hugs))) to Courtney.

Kelly said...

Besides letting her talk and cry, the bubble bath and the hugs seemed like the best remedy available.

BASF said...

Courtney will learn from this situation what you could never teach her otherwise: she'll learn how to really feel for people who have lost someone they love. She won't be quick to say things like "Life's tough; deal with it".

Compassion often comes to us through our own hurts. Then we can know what others are feeling and truly empathize with them. Just as you have learned how to feel more deeply for those who have difficulty having children they desperately want, she will learn how to feel for those who have lost someone they dearly love.

Nadine has done well considering she and LD had one of the closest marriage relationships I have ever seen. God has given her much grace.

BASF said...

I know that anytime anyone mentions that their mother died, I immediately begin to tear up. My heart swells up with compassion for them because I KNOW what it means to lose a mother.