Friday, April 25, 2008

Sad Day

Do you ever have days when you feel sad? Do you ever have days where you don't know if you made the right decision on something?
I am feeling that way today. I posted earlier about the dog problems we have had. We have had two dogs in the past two months come to our house and stay. The one dog we took in and she has became my girls best friend.
Well this little black dog came up about three weeks or so ago. He was wild as a buck. He would run from us and act scared to death. He probably weighed less than 10 pounds. I could tell he was a grown dog. I started feeding him because I felt sorry for him. He made our house his home.
He would never let us get near him. Once I cornered him and he acted like he was going to bite me. I was hoping that he would get sweet and we could find a good home for him.
He dug into my fence to be with my dogs. Kevin was able to catch him and put him out. He let Kevin get him with no problem. A few days later he was back in my dogs fence again. I was able to go into the fence and pet him some, but most of the time he would run.
We finally made the decision to call the animal control for our area. They came this morning and it broke my heart.
I told them we might have trouble catching the dog. The two men did not think it would be a problem. They wanted my girls to go inside because they said they might have to use a instrument that would scare the girls. I had no idea what they was going to do.
I was in the pen trying to keep the dog from going under our building. I knew if he went under there we would never catch him.
The two men come in with what looked like hooks and nets. I started to panic. They was cornering the dog and when the dog would run toward them they stuck out the net. The dog was so little he went right through the net. The men kept trying. They finally got the dog. The dog was yelping and barking like they was killing it. I am sure he was just scared, but it looked so bad. It is a vision I will never forget. The little dog had a small rope around his neck and the hook was in the rope. The hook was also connected to a long metal rod that the men held to pull the dog with. The little dog was flopping and yelping, and I was trying not to cry. Once they got him into the cage I had to sign papers that he had not bit anybody in the last 10 days.
After they left Courtney came out crying. She had went inside but she watched out the window.
I feel so bad. I know if they don't find a home for the dog that they will put him to sleep. I really don't feel that anybody will want a wild dog. I feel I made the right decision but it is really hard.
I just did not think we needed another dog. Especially a male dog.
I just feel so bad.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I totally understand what you're feeling. I think people who are saved have a natural tendency to care for animals.

Nicky said...

some times its the bad apple that will ruin the bunch. Just think of it that way... you maybe would've felt worse if you kept it and if it bit one of your girls or something... Don't beat yourself up too bad about it.